Monday, December 9, 2013

Accidental Eavesdropping



About a week ago, Hayden, Hannah’s almost-boyfriend-but-then-Fred-happened, came by to invite Hannah to come to a string recital he was performing in. Hannah didn’t say anything, but with her mouth hanging open it was pretty obvious she was trying to find a way out of it, though since her show ended last week she didn’t have anything on hand. Lucy didn’t take any time in letting her find an excuse. She said it would be a great cultural experience for the three of us to go. Sometimes I wonder if Lucy really believes Hannah will fall for Hayden, or if she’s just trying to push her out of the picture long enough to snag Fred for herself. Sadly, I think this is motivated mostly for her own benefit.

            But Hannah wasn’t about to let her sister one-up her. She invited along Marie, Charlie, and Fred to come, too. While preferable to clubbing, I still didn’t really want to go because of the company, but I didn’t have an excuse not to go.

So on Friday, the five of us went to Hayden’s recital, which was beautiful, and much preferable to a dupstep.  After it was over, Lucy told Hannah she had to go talk to Hayden and tell him he did a great job, but Hannah wanted to slip away unnoticed, and Marie agreed that would be a good idea. Charlie became very concerned with Hannah’s manners and insisted that she go, and told her he’d go with her if it made her that anxious.

            While Hannah and Charlie left to find Hayden, Lucy pulled Fred away to look around the building the recital was in. Marie went to the bathroom, and so I waited out in the lobby. I got tired of standing, but all the seats were taken except for one nestled around a corner, which I ended up sitting in. 

That’s when Fred and Lucy stopped nearby my spot, unable to see me because of a large fern and the fact I was in this awkward nook. But they were close enough that I could hear them talk. Their conversation went a little like this:

Lucy: Hannah seemed so ready to make him her boyfriend, so sure about it, but now here she is, not even wanting to talk to him after his recital! She kept on changing her mind if she’d even go tonight, even though she promised. I had to convince her to come, and then to talk to him.
Fred: She wouldn’t have even come tonight if you hadn’t told her to?
Lucy: Probably not, no.
Fred: It’s a good thing she has you to give her direction, then.
Lucy: It’s one of her less flattering traits, her indecisiveness. Personally, I could never be that way. I’ve known I wanted to study whales ever since I saw Free Willy in elementary school, and here I am. It’s just not in my nature to change my mind.
Fred: No, I don’t think so. You have a strength, Lucy, many people don’t have. Not your sister, or…others. Don’t get me wrong, Hannah is a great person, but you are admirable. You know what you want and nothing will move you from that. It’s rare to find. 

It was quiet here, so I could only imagine why. They were probably staring at each other in that early-love kind of way, all sparking eyes and small smiles. I worried about being found then, of seeming like the creepy ex who can’t let go and resorts to stalking. So I tried to keep quiet and still. 

Marie came by them then, and asked where Charlie was. When Fred and Lucy couldn’t tell her, she made a comment about how he never bothered to keep tabs on her wellbeing, then stalked off. Which led to Fred and Lucy’s conversation:

Fred: Does she always expect to be the center of attention of everyone’s life?
Lucy: Yes, it’s that family pride of hers, with their big business and money. Except for Anne, of course. We all wish Charlie would have married Anne instead of Marie.
Fred (after a pause): Do you mean they were engaged?
Lucy: Oh, no, nothing that far. They dated for a few months, but Anne broke it off suddenly.
Fred: How long ago was this? Ten, eleven years?
Lucy: Not that long ago, I was getting my undergrad then…so five or so years ago, maybe? I’m not sure. But I wish it had worked out, I’d much rather have Anne as a sister than Marie. Our mom thinks her godmother, Ruth, had something to do with it. That a doctor’s salary wasn’t good enough for Anne, so she convinced her to break up with him. Ridiculous.

They moved on then, but I had to wait to recover from what I’d heard. I didn’t know how Fred would process this information. Would he sense it was because of him I couldn’t make things work with Charlie? Did I seem to be pining for him, unable to move on? Which, okay, I know that’s the truth. But from his perspective, it’s just creepy. And I don’t think what I feel or have done is creepy at all. A bit pathetic, yes, but nothing beyond that.

By the time I recovered and got out of my hiding spot, only Lucy, Fred, Hannah, and Hayden were outside. Hayden looked rather pleased with himself, while Hannah seemed more subdued and sheepish than usual. Lucy told me Charlie and Marie already went back home to relieve the babysitter and the rest of them were all heading out for drinks at a bar, so to get my butt in the driver’s seat.

It had been a really long week for me, and the thought of going out with them drained me all over again. That’s when Fred said that I looked tired, and asked if I wanted to stay or go home. When I said I’d prefer to leave, he said he’d take the role of designated driver for the night, then flagged down a taxi to drive me home. He even opened the door for me and gave the driver some cash to pay for the ride.

The night left me with a strange mixture of feelings. On the one hand, Fred’s interest in Lucy seemed to increase, and so the potential of something happening has increased, too. But on the other hand, Fred was so courteous to me. I couldn’t think of it any other way this time. He noticed my discomfort and remedied it. Again, I’m not suggesting he feels anything from before, but I think he doesn’t hate me anymore. He sees me as a person again, and treats me like he does to everyone else, with that kindness that always made me fall for him.

I’m glad that, if something does happen with him and Lucy, we’re at least able to interact without the anger and stress. I guess you guys are right. Things do get better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Only Annie, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena