Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Everyone's Leaving



            It seems like everyone around here has decided to bolt. I suppose “everyone” might be an exaggeration, but nonetheless it seems my circle is shrinking. In addition to Eliza and my dad moving out in one week, Ruth is leaving for Europe on Saturday and will be there until the end of October. Autumn is her favorite time of the year to go, since there aren’t as many tourists and winter hasn’t quite set in yet. She usually goes every other year, although in the past she’s only been gone for two weeks. Ruth says that she hasn’t been able to travel Europe properly in fifteen years, and this time she wants to take in more of the sights in one trip.

            Although she’s only leaving for two months, this is making me feel a bit abandoned. I know it’s strange for a 30-year-old woman to be upset over her godmother going to Europe for a few months, especially since I might be moving away myself for a year, but I am. I might not tell Ruth everything about my life, but she’s the closest person to me. At least she takes the time to talk through any problem I have and considers my feelings. I don’t confide in her as much as I used to, but it’s still nice to know she’ll be there for me.

            Now there’s just Marie left, of people I see regularly outside of work. What a thought. I could be having a heart attack and Marie would say that her indigestion is far worse. And since Marie’s pregnant again, she can use that as an excuse for anything that even slightly irritates her. The smell of lemons makes her ill, the thermostat needs to be at a precise 68 degrees, music (but only the kind she doesn’t like) gives her headaches. Marie is a hypochondriac, often feeling ill as a child without a fever, sick stomach, or runny nose to prove it. Mom’s cancer added another layer of paranoia, and she gets at least two mammograms a year ever since she was eighteen. I live just next door to her in some apartments here, so she constantly calls me over to help her when she’s feeling unwell, no matter how long of a day I’ve had at work.

            Maybe I should go north. Or maybe I’ll just get a cat. Marie says it’s time for me to accept my inevitable spinsterhood now, considering I haven’t had a serious boyfriend in years and Dad’s company has taken over all of my social life.

            You know, the idea of getting a cat is becoming more appealing than any other option I have in my life right now. Look at that cutie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting a pet definitely sounds like a good idea! I find it makes a difference to how I feel, knowing that someone is going to greet me enthusiastically when I come home at the end of the day.

Lady Disdain said...

Ah, seems like change is inevitable. Keep your head up - sometimes change can lead to good things. Or, at the very least, interesting things.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Only Annie, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena