Monday, September 16, 2013

I'm Staying



The week of back-and-forth, of uncertainty, of hair-tearing indecision was finally settled because Marie asked me to stay.

            It’s not that Marie is in charge of my life or anything, but when I told her I might be going up north with Eliza and Dad, she asked what in the world I would be needed for up there. In truth, not a lot, because Dad’s never taken my advice with the business before, so why would that change now? I would be doing the same work I do here, just in a different place. Then Marie talked about how she’s still feeling ill from her pregnancy, and how helpful I’ve been with my nephew, and that she can’t imagine having to go on without me. How can I leave my sister alone like that? I might have been too ungenerous in my previous post. Marie is a hypochondriac, but pregnancy is difficult, hypochondriac or not. It would be insensitive of me to leave her under the circumstances, and I like to be needed. Besides, I never really liked living up north to begin with, and not just because of the hard time I had up there. It was cold and crowded and noisy—much different than my quiet little town.

            And, in other news, I’m getting roommates. They’re Charlie’s (my brother-in-law) sisters. They’re a few years younger than me, and for this blog I’m code naming them Hannah and Lucy. Hannah is a classically trained singer, who has spent the past year studying in Paris. From what Charlie’s mom has told me, Hannah would love to be a Susan Boyle kind of figure, with a classical voice but having a broad appeal, although for now she has a part in a production in one of the theatres downtown. Lucy has been away for her undergrad and graduate work, but has come back home to get her PhD at the local university. They both wanted to come back into town after years away, but as this area is pricey, they needed another roommate in order for them to make the finances work. I overheard Charlie talking about this to Marie, and since I have a two-bedroom apartment, I offered the extra room to the two girls.  

            Even though Hannah and Lucy are a few years younger than me, I’m excited to have roommates again. I haven’t had one since my undergrad, and so while I’ll have to re-learn how to live with other people, it might be really great. From what time I’ve spent around Hannah and Lucy, they seem to be really fun, vibrant people. Pretty much the exact opposite of me, but I think that contrasting personalities can do a lot for each other.

            Who knows? Maybe these changes will be just what I need.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Only Annie, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena