Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Skyping Lucy



            Last night Hannah and I got the opportunity to Skype with Lucy, which was wonderful. It was really the first time I talked to her since the accident, and part of me wishes that I could stay here, with my roommates, and be friends and have it be like before. But things won’t be like they were before, and I have to accept that.

            But Lucy’s doing well. While we were talking, she needed time to gather her thoughts, spoke slowly, and forgot some words, but that’s normal right now. The state she’s in is still considered favorable after a traumatic brain injury. Her therapy has gone smoothly these last few days, and they have a move-out date for her, February 6. She’ll come back home, and they already have some candidates for her live-in nurse. She’s narrowed down the applicants and she and her parents are going to interview them later in the week. And, of course, Lucy, like everyone else, wanted to make sure I wasn’t moving out for her. And once again, I had to give my reasons. Well, most of my reasons.

            Toward the end of our conversation, Ben appeared by Lucy’s side. He’d been popping in to visit Lucy and heard us on Skype. He talked to me a bit about the new music he’s discovered since helping Lucy find motivation to keep going, asking who I’d heard of and if I had any recommendations. Through some turns in conversation, he started talking about a new start-up he, Harvey, and Fred are working on. Ben, half-joking, half-serious, told us not to talk to the internet about their idea so no one steals it, so I guess I can’t tell you guys anything about it. But it is an incredible idea that I think will be just as, if not more, successful than their last business. Even Lucy piped up during that conversation, saying that Fred has been spending a lot of time working on the plans, hoping to get it up and running as soon as possible. I mean, I guess he has needed to do something while he’s so far away from Lucy, and a way to make money again, if he has the faintest inclination of supporting her eventually. With the accident, she may never finish her PhD, at least not for many more years. We still have yet to see what kind of work she’d be able to do, and if she’d want to do it still.

            It really is wonderful for Lucy to have someone through all of this, and someone who will adore and respect her. I remember, when Mom’s hair started falling out, how my dad left her behind for all of his parties and social events, bringing the young, healthy Eliza in her place. But Fred won’t do that to Lucy, no matter what happens. 

            Maybe I tell myself this because I’m selfish. I have to believe that the pain I’m going through is for a reason, and will do good for someone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Only Annie, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena